This photo was taken last night at JFK airport in the baggage claim area.
More importantly, today is Mother’s Day and I’d like to take a moment to recognize my mom. Mom, I am so grateful that you are my mother and I’d like to share some moments I will never forget, where you demonstrated your supreme awesomeness as a mother:
- I remember when I had to do a school project about Hawaii and it was before the internet and you got on the phone and made a long-distance call to Hawaii to find out what the weather was for me. I thought that was the coolest thing ever.
- I remember when you drove me all over town collecting wildflowers for my wildflower project.
- I remember when you drove me all over town collecting rocks for my “Pebble Pets and People” project in elementary school.
- I remember the hours you spent on the couch with me, helping me study for my exams.
- I remember all the times you split two different dishes with me at restaurants so I would not have to limit myself to only one choice.
- I remember when you let Pam and me eat ice cream for lunch followed by a sandwich for dessert.
- I remember when you came to NYC to help me find a new apartment when I was homeless and sad after a breakup.
- I remember when you ran for the school committee and had me holding signs in the town rotary and going door to door handing out fliers. I was so excited to be a part of that. I was so proud of you and admired how brave you were for running in an election.
- I remember all the times you shopped ’til you dropped with me to make sure I had clothes that made me feel fabulous!
- I remember when you told my first real date in high school (a hot senior – I was a freshman) to be careful driving because he had “precious cargo”.
- I remember you always telling me that I could do anything or be anything. You have always been my greatest fan and biggest support system and your encouragement and belief in me has given me the confidence to follow my dreams.
So – thank you mom for being such an amazing mother. I appreciate you today and every day.